In Argentina, a tourist visa is good for 90 days. This visa can be renewed by leaving and re-entering the country however given that I find myself in the center of the country in Córdoba that’s not always an option.
Recently I extended my tourist visa at the immigration office in Córdoba using these 32 simple steps.
- Realize your 90 day tourist visa is expiring soon.
- Attempt to leave to Chile during a trip to Patagonia.
- Find out the Chile border is an 8 hour bus ride away and not feasible given your trip’s schedule.
- Research online to find immigration office in Córdoba, Argentina located at Caseros 676.
- Walk to the immigration office.
- Return home because the immigration office is closed at 4pm.
- Return to immigration office the next morning 8am.
- Enter immigration office to find a packed waiting room of people.
- Take a number and wait.
- Have your number called only to have another person sprint up and take your place.
- Return to seat and wait.
- Aggressively sprint towards the free chair once the next number is called.
- Be informed that the office to extend visas is actually upstairs and you waited for nothing.
- Head directly upstairs and knock on a few office doors until you find the right one. Door is labeled “Prórroga“
- Explain the situation, sign paperwork, and receive a document to take to the bank.
- Leave migration office to get photocopy of passport and pay the fee at the bank.
- Walk 7 blocks to Humberto Primo to find the bank to pay the 300 (edit: as of May 2017, 900) peso fee.
- Enter the lobby of the bank and be informed that the bank to make payments is actually around the corner.
- Find the bank and pay the fee.
- Walk back 7 blocks to migration office.
- Stop to buy a bottle of water (sin gas).
- Get Passport style photos with a white background from Kodak store around the corner from immigration.
- Photocopy passport and page with most recent entry stamp.
- Re-enter migration office and head directly to the second floor.
- Find a waiting room of 6 people.
- Smile at nice lady each time she leaves her office to indicate you’ve brought everything back.
- Read Che Boludo! to brush up on your Argentine slang
- Wait while playing blackjack on your phone.
- Lose $2100 fictional dollars playing blackjack.
- Get called into the office and be given the passport with a fresh 90 days as well as all other additional paperwork.
- Kiss nice lady on the cheek and leave to enjoy 90 more days in Argentina.
Simple as that really.
Photo is from El Chalten on my recent trip to Patagonia.